Online fundraising depends on philanthropy and security

For nonprofit organizations looking to make the most out of online fundraising, it's often a challenge to get inside donors' heads. The goal is to effectively understand why they're making the decision to contribute - or not.

Frequently, nonprofits have to play the part of psychoanalysts in determining the motivations donors have and how to accurately address their concerns and questions in order to make online giving a more intuitive and convenient experience. A recent study conducted in collaboration by the ad agency Y&R and Joel Weinberger, psychologist and professor at Adelphi University, investigated both conscious and unconscious values.

What people's brains are telling them
Direct Marketing News highlighted the fact that 90 percent of individuals' thoughts are derived from the unconscious brain, but the remaining 10 percent also play a significant role in controlling behavior.

In fact, the report indicated the top three values that participants in the study identified were:

  • Being helpful,
  • The ability to direct their own paths,
  • And a meaningful life.

On the other hand, the leading unconscious values that researchers found were:

  • Maintaining security,
  • Physical fulfillment,
  • And honoring tradition.

Charitable foundations should be able to recognize several key takeaways from this study, and that can better inform their fundraising and other marketing activities.

First of all, people continue place a priority on helping others. While nonprofits represent a diverse range of industries, there's little question that benefiting others is often at the core of their missions and values.

Focus on helping others safely
One way fundraisers can build off philanthropy is to create the most convenient pathway for donors to consistently support an organization. The NonProfit Times indicated monthly donations or recurring gifts programs are an effective way to retain contributors. The Times explained nonprofits can keep roughly three-quarters of their donors if they participate in a monthly giving campaign.

Plus, monthly giving programs can do wonders for your annual fund. When donors are giving a set amount each month, your nonprofit can more accurately plan for events, projects, and fundraisers.

As the same time, monthly giving helps solidify the idea that people will be helping all the time, instead of during single pledge drives or fundraising initiatives.

Focus on security

Of the unconscious values, there's little surprise that people cite security as a top priority. This aspect of online fundraising should be easy to address for the majority of nonprofit groups.

Donors expect to have a secure and seamless experience when they use their credit or debit cards to contribute to a fundraiser. There are many software resources and service providers that charitable groups can work with to ensure all payment processing is protected and they maintain the integrity of people's financial information.

Back to News